Foster, Stephen (1826-1864)
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is Stephen Foster.
· Austin, William W. Susanna, Jeanie, and The Old Folks at Home: The Songs of Stephen C. Foster from His Time to Ours. 2nd edn. University of Illinois Press, 1987. Scholarly study of the poetic sources and varied interpretations of Foster's songs.
· Center for American Music. Website of the world's largest library collection on Foster. http://www.pitt.edu/~amerimus/CAM1.htm
· Elliker, Calvin. Stephen Collins Foster: A Guide to Research. Garland Publishing, 1988. Includes not only the most extensive bibliography, but also lists of memorials and musical compositions dedicated to Foster.
· Emerson, Ken. Doo-Dah! Stephen Foster and the Rise of American Popular Culture. Simon and Schuster, 1997. First modern biography, connecting Foster to other people of his time and to the history of popular culture.
· Howard, John Tasker. Stephen Foster: America's Troubadour. 2nd edn. Thomas Y. Crowell, 1953. The documentary biography.
· Saunders, Steven, and Deane L. Root. The Music of Stephen C. Foster: A Critical Edition. Smithsonian Institution Press, 1990. Two-volume edition of Foster's complete musical works.
· Hamm, Charles. Music in the New World, chapter 9, "Stephen Foster and Indigenous American Song." W. W. Norton, 1983. Documents the significance of Foster's songs in America, and analyzes their musical style.
· Hodges, Fletcher, Jr. A Biographical Sketch of Stephen C. Foster. 2nd edn. Center for American Music, 1997.
· Morneweck, Evelyn Foster. Chronicles of Stephen Foster's Family. University of Pittsburgh Press, 1944. History and genealogy of Stephen Foster's immediate family.
· Root, Deane L. "The 'Mythstory' of Stephen C. Foster; or, Why His True Story Remains Untold." The American Music Research Center Journal I (1991), 20-36.
· Stephen Foster Seite. German Website containing photographs and recordings on Foster. http://www.stephen-foster-songs.de/index.htm
"The Infography about Stephen Foster (1826-1864)"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA