Castles -- Europe -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is European castles.
· Anderson, William. Castles of Europe: From Charlemagne to the Renaissance. Random House, 1970.
· Brown, R. Allen, Sir John Hackett, Michael Prestwich, Charles Coulson, et al. Castles: A History and Guide. Blandford, 1980.
· Castles on the Web. http://www.castlesontheweb.com/
· Gil, Julio, and Augusto Cabrita. The Finest Castles in Portugal. Verbo, 1986.
· Monreal y Tejada, Louis. Medieval Castles of Spain. Konemann, 1999.
· Viollet-le-Duc, E.E., transl. by M. MacDermott. An Essay on the Military Architecture of the Middle Ages. James Parker and Co., 1860, 1907; reprinted by Greenwood Press, 1977; reprinted by Presidio Press, as Military Architecture, 1990.
· d'Ursel, Countess Marie-Caroline. Fifty Castles Bring to Life the History of Belgium. Bruxelles, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Tourism, 1971.
· Formilli, C.T.G. The Castles of Italy. A. and C. Black, 1933.
· Götze, Heinz. Castel Del Monte: Geometric Marvel of the Middle Ages. Prestel, 1998.
· Hauswirth, Fritz. Ancient Castles and Historic Mansions in Switzerland. Swiss National Tourist Office, 1975.
· Mrusek, Hans-Joachim, and Irene Roch. Castles of Europe. Hart, 1973.
· Ottendorff-Simrock, Walther, trans. by Barry Jones. Castles on the Rhine. Stollfus Verlag, n.d, 5th ed.
· Ulmer, Christoph, and Gianni D'Affara. The Castles of Friuli. Konemann, 1997.
· Washburn, Oliver D. Castles in Spain. The author, 1957.
"The Infography about the History of Castles in Europe"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA