Cataloging of Music
The following sources are recommended by a librarian whose research specialty is the cataloging of music resources in libraries.
· Smiraglia, Richard P. Music Cataloging: The Bibliographic Control of Printed and Recorded Music in Libraries. Libraries Unlimited, 1989.
· Smiraglia, Richard P. Describing Music Materials: A Manual for Descriptive Cataloging of Printed and Recorded Music, Music Videos, and Archival Music Collections for Use with AACR2 and APPM. 3rd ed., rev. and enl. with the assistance of Taras Pavlovsky. Soldier Creek Press, 1997.
· Hemmasi, Harriette. Music Subject Headings: Compiled from Library of Congress Subject Headings. 2nd ed., with technical assistance of Fred Rowley, introduction by J. Bradford Young, foreword by Richard P. Smiraglia. Soldier Creek Press, 1998.
· Weitz, Jay. Music Coding and Tagging: MARC 21 Content Designation for Scores and Sound Recordings. 2nd ed., foreword by Richard P. Smiraglia. Soldier Creek Press, 2001.
· Music Cataloging at Yale. Yale University. http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/musicat.htm
· Cataloger's Desktop. Library of Congress, Cataloging Distribution Service, 1994-present. Includes Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress Rule Interpretations, Music Cataloging Decisions, and Library of Congress Classification M: Music and Books on Music. http://www.loc.gov/cds/desktop/
· Hartsock, Ralph. Notes for Music Catalogers: Examples Illustrating AACR 2 in the Online Bibliographic Record. 1st ed. Soldier Creek Press, 1994.
· McKnight, Mark. Music Classification Systems. Scarecrow Press, Music Library Association, 2002.
· Music OCLC Users Group. OCLC Online Computer Library Center. http://www.musicoclcusers.org/
· Cataloguing Tools by Format: Scores and Sound Recordings. Memorial University of Newfoundland Libraries. http://staff.library.mun.ca/staff/toolbox/formtool.htm#music
· Shaw, Sarah J., and Lauralee Shiere. Sheet Music Cataloging and Processing: A Manual Prepared for the Brown University Library Title II-C Sheet Music Cataloging Project. Music Library Association, Scarecrow Press, 1984.
· Vellucci, Sherry L. Bibliographic Relationships in Music Catalogs. Scarecrow Press, 1997.
· Weidow, Judy. The Music OCLC Users Group Presents the Best Of MOUG: A List of Library of Congress Name Authority Records for Music Titles of Major Composers. 7th ed., rev. and expanded. Music OCLC Users Group, 2000.
· Librarian's Toolbox. OCLC Online Computer Library Center. http://www.oclc.org/toolbox/
· Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules. 2nd ed., rev. Canadian Library Association, American Library Association, 2002.
"The Infography about the Cataloging of Music"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA