Castles -- Britain -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is British castles.
· Brown, R. Allen. English Castles. Batsford, 1954, 1962, 1976.
· Cruden, Stewart. The Scottish Castle. Thomas Nelson, 1981, 3rd ed.
· Pounds, N.J.G. The Medieval Castle in England and Wales: A Social and Political History. Cambridge University Press, 1990.
· Thompson, M.W. The Rise of the Castle. Cambridge University Press, 1991.
· Thompson, M.W. The Decline of the Castle. Cambridge University Press, 1987.
· Toy, Sidney. The Castles of Great Britain. Heinemann, 1953, 1954, 1963, 1966.
· Armitage, Ella S. Early Norman Castles of the British Isles. John Murray, 1912.
· Braun, Hugh. The English Castle. Batsford "The British Heritage Series," 1936, 1943.
· Brown, R. Allen. Castles from the Air. Cambridge University Press, 1989.
· Brown, R. Allen, H.M. Colvin, and A.J. Taylor. The History of the King's Works: The Middle Ages. HMSO, 1963, 2 vols. plus box of plans.
· The Castles of Wales. http://www.castlewales.com/home.html
· Clark, George T. Medieval Military Architecture in England. Wyman and Sons, 1884, 2 vols.
· Fry, Plantagenet Somerset. Castles of Britain and Ireland: The Ultimate Reference Book--A Region-by-Region Guide to over 1,350 Castles. David and Charles, 1996, 2nd ed.
· Higham, Robert, and Philip Barker. Timber Castles. Batsford, 1995.
· Kenyon, John R. Medieval Fortifications. Leicester University Press, "The Archeology of Great Britain" series, 1990.
· King, D.J. Cathcart. Castellarium Anglicanum: An Index and Bibliography of the Castles in England, Wales, and the Islands. Kraus-Thomson, 1983, 2 vols.
· King, D.J. Cathcart. The Castle in England and Wales: An Interpretive History. Croom Helm, 1988.
· MacGibbon, David, and Thomas Ross. The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland from the Twelfth to the Eighteenth Century. David Douglas, 1887-1892, 5 vols.; reprinted by James Thin, 1977.
· O'Neill, B.H. St. John. Castles and Cannon: A Study of Early Artillery Fortifications in England. Oxford University Press, 1960; reprinted by Greenwood Press, 1975.
· Platt, Colin. The Castle in Medieval England and Wales. Secker and Warburg, 1982.
· Renn, Derek. Norman Castles in Britain. John Baker, 1973, 2nd ed.
· Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales. Inventory of Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan: The Early Castles. HMSO, 1991.
· Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales. Inventory of Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan: The Later Castles. The Royal Commission, 2000.
· Tomlinson, A. Hamilton. Military Architecture in England during the Middle Ages. Oxford University Press, 1912; reprinted by Rowman and Littlefield, 1975.
· Tranter, Nigel. The Fortified House in Scotland. Oliver and Boyd, 1962-66, 4 vols.; W.R. Chambers, 1970, 1 vol.
· Turner, Hilary L. Town Defences in England and Wales. John Baker, 1971.
"The Infography about the History of Castles in Britain"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA