Photography -- Color -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is early color photography.
· Wall, E.J. History of Three-Color Photography. American Photographic Publishing. 1925. The single most comprehensive reference on color processes to its publication date; still the most comprhensive. Hundreds of patent references and very clear discussions of technical and commercial issues.
· Newhall, B. The History of Photography. Museum of Modern Art. 1988. The chapter on color is brief but excellent. Well illustrated and well written throughout.
· Coote, J.H. The Illustrated History of Color Photography. Fountain Press. 1993. Well illustrated and up-to-date book, a sort of successor to Wall (above) devoted to the huge variety of color processes, especially for cinema.
· Frizot, M. (ed.). A New History of Photography. Konemann. 1999. Huge and well illustrated new history of photography with a good chapter on color which considers images as much as processes.
· Coe, B. Color Photography: The First Hundred Years. Ash and Grant. 1978. An early summary devoted to color only. Good text, though.
· Sipley, L.W. A Half Century of Color. Macmillan. 1951. Considers color photography, its applications and its relation to printing.
· Bellone, R., and Fellot, L. Histoire Mondiale de la Photographie en Couleurs. Hachette Realities. 1981. Excellent review of the history of technology and of images. Superbly illustrated. In French.
· Friedman, J.S. History of Color Photography. American Photographic Publishing. 1945. Widely quoted, a classic in its time, but no color in illustrations.
· Hofel, K., and Gohr, S. Farbe im Photo. Josef-Haubrich-Kunsthalle. 1981. Superb exhibition catalog with great coverage of old and new processes, beautifully illustrated. In German.
· Wood, J. The Art of the Autochrome. U. of Iowa Press. 1993. Well illustrated with carefully selected images by early users of this first successful commercial process, and excellent text.
· Boulouch, N. Les Autochromes Lumiere: La Couleur Inventee. Scheibli Editions. 1995. A coffee table book that adds excellent commentary to carefully selected, largely unpublished, and beautifully reproduced images made by the inventors of the autochrome. In English and French.
· Alschuler, W.R. On the Physical and Visual State of 100-Year-Old Lippmann Color Photographs. Proceedings of the 6th International SPIE Symposium on Display Holography at Lake Forest, IL. 1997. A brief summary of the results of a world survey of images by one of the first and least known color processes. Bibliography, no illustrations.
"The Infography about the History of Color Photography"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA