The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the growth of suburban areas.
· Duany, Andres, et al. Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream. (North Point Press, 2001).
· Fishman, Robert. Bourgeois Utopias: The Rise and Fall of Suburbia. (Basic Books, 1987).
· Jackson, Kenneth T. Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the U.S. (Oxford University Press, 1985).
· Olmsted, Frederick Law. Civilizing American Cities: Writings on City Landscapes. (Da Capo, 1997).
· Rome, Adam. The Bulldozer in the Countryside: Suburban Sprawl and the Rise of American Environmentalism. (Cambridge University Press, 2001).
· Levittown at Fifty. http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-levittown,0,850235.storygallery?coll=ny-lihistory-navigation
· Kunstler, James Howard. The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape. (Simon and Schuster, 1994).
· Schuyler, David. The New Urban Landscape: The Redefinition of City Form in Nineteenth-Century America. (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1988).
· Warner, Sam Bass, Jr. Streetcar Suburbs: The Process of Growth in Boston. (Harvard University Press, 1978).
· Frederick Law Olmsted. http://www.newbedford.com/olmsted.html#works
· American Planning Association. http://www.planning.org/
"The Infography about Suburbanization"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA