Travel -- South Pacific
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is South Pacific travel.
· Map South Pacific. Maps and travel guides to Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa, Vanuatu, Easter Island, and more, and the De Rienzi Gallery section of this site displays 60 antique engravings of Polynesia and Melanesia. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/
· The Pacific. New Zealand-based filmmakers and travel journalists Marianne and Ulli Weissbach have an attractive site which serves as a travel information portal for the Pacific islands. http://www.pacifica.info/
· Pacific Travel Guides. A travel and accommodations guide including maps and pictures of Hawaii, Fiji, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Samoa, Tonga, Niue, Tokelau, Tuvalu, Micronesia, Kiribati, and New Zealand. http://www.pacific-travel-guides.com/
· South Pacific Organizer. Guidebook writer David Stanley provides mini-guides to South Pacific destinations, island maps, listings of films, music, and books, answers to FAQs, and links to numerous other travel sites relating to the South Pacific. http://www.southpacific.org/
· South Pacific Tourism Organisation. The official site of the regional tourism body serving American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, Kiribati, New Caledonia, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. http://www.spto.org/
· Travelmaxia. This Internet portal provides a vast amount of information on accommodations all across the Pacific. You're able to email the properties directly using the online forms--this is not a tour company. http://www.travelmaxia.com/
· Bell, Gavin. In Search of Tusitala: Travels in the Pacific after Robert Louis Stevenson. Macmillan, 1995. A young Scottish journalists' experiences in the Marquesas, Tahiti, Hawaii, Kiribati, and Samoa in the footsteps of Robert Louis Stevenson.
· Health Information for Travelers to the South Pacific. Official U.S. government health recommendations for traveling to the South Pacific, provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/
· Dive Adventures. This Australian scuba-diving site provides detailed information on diving at eight Pacific destinations. http://www.diveadventures.com.au/
· Ewins, Rory. Linking the Islands: Pacific Implications of the Web. A 2002 conference paper on the history of the Internet in the South Pacific, this describes the use of the web by academics, the news media, expatriates, governments, and political parties, and there's a revealing comparison of the cost of Internet access in Western and developing countries. http://speedysnail.com/pacific/linking/
· Herle, Anita, et al. Pacific Art: Persistence, Change, and Meaning. University of Hawaii Press, 2002. A collection of essays on themes currently shaping the study of Pacific art.
· Hinz, Earl R. Landfalls of Paradise: Cruising Guide to the Pacific Islands. University of Hawaii Press, 1999. With 97 maps and 144 illustrations, this is the only cruising guide to Oceania's 75 ports of entry and many lesser harbors and anchorages.
· Kaeppler, Adrienne, C. Kaufmann, and Douglas Newton. Oceanic Art. Abrahams, 1997. The first major survey of the arts of Polynesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia in more than three decades, this admirable volume brings the reader up to date on recent scholarship in the field. Of the 900 illustrations, more than a third are new.
· Lal, Brig V., and Kate Fortune, eds. The Pacific Islands: An Encyclopedia. University of Hawaii Press, 2000. This important book combines the writings of 200 acknowledged experts on the physical environment, peoples, history, politics, economics, society, and culture of the South Pacific. The accompanying CD-ROM provides a wealth of maps, graphs, photos, biographies, and more.
· Lewis, David. We, the Navigators. University of Hawaii Press, 1994. A second edition of the 1972 classic on the ancient art of land-finding in the Pacific. Lewis' 1964 journey from Tahiti to New Zealand was the first in modern times on which only traditional navigational means were used.
· Local Times around the World: Pacific. Check the exact time in 27 countries and territories. http://times.clari.net.au/Pacific.html
· London, Jack. South Sea Tales. Mutual Publishing. Stories based on London's visit to Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, and the Solomons in the early 20th century.
· Michener, James A. Return to Paradise. Random House, 1951. Essays and short stories. Michener's Tales of the South Pacific, the first of more than 30 books, opened on Broadway in 1949 as the long-running musical South Pacific.
· Niue Tourism Office. This official tourism site covers just about everything relating to a visit to this small New Zealand associated state, including fishing, diving, caving, yachting, nature tours, things to see and do, accommodations, eating out, events, medical, getting there, and island transportation. http://www.niueisland.com/
· Noonsite. Jimmy Cornell's global site for cruising sailors features information of interest to anyone planning an offshore voyage around the South Pacific. http://www.noonsite.com/
· Pacific Peoples' Partnership. The Pacific Peoples' Partnership is Canada's only non-profit, non-governmental, social-justice organization that is devoted exclusively to working in solidarity with peoples of the South Pacific to promote their aspirations for peace, justice, security, and sustainable development. This site carries much information about ecotourism. http://www.pacificpeoplespartnership.org/
· Pacific Pictures. A collection of photos of 15 Pacific countries and territories by David Stanley, author of Moon Handbooks South Pacific. http://www.pacific-pictures.com/
· Pacific Studies WWW Virtual Library. A project of the Australian National University which provides bibliographical sources in the field of Pacific studies. http://coombs.anu.edu.au/WWWVL-PacificStudies.html
· Pictures Pacific. A family of websites offering photos and guides to the Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Tahiti, and Hawaii. http://www.pictures-pacific.com/
· Paradise Adventures and Cruises. Crewed and bareboat yacht charters in Fiji, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Tonga, and Vanuatu. http://www.paradiseadventures.com.au/
· Reference Map of Oceania. University of Hawaii Press, 1995. A useful double-sided map of the Pacific by James A. Bier, who also produced the worthwhile Islands of Samoa map.
· Ryan, Paddy. The Snorkeler's Guide to the Coral Reef. University of Hawaii Press, 1994. An introduction to the wonders of the Indo-Pacific reefs. The author spent 10 years in Fiji and knows the region well.
· South Pacific Employment. A website designed to help job seekers identify opportunities in the tourism, resort, and dive sectors, and to assist local businesses in finding qualified staff. http://www.southpacificemployment.com/
· South Pacific Real Estate. It can be revealing to peruse the listings of hotels and resorts currently for sale, as listed on this site. http://www.southpacificrealestate.com/
· South Pacific Travel Blog. An island-travel blog with news and views from the South Pacific. http://blog.southpacific.org/
· Southern Sea Ventures. This Australian company specializes in sea kayaking expeditions to Fiji, Tonga, and Vanuatu. http://www.southernseaventures.com/
· Stanley, David. Moon Handbooks South Pacific. Avalon Travel Publishing, 2004. The 8th edition of the original travel guide to Polynesia and Melanesia. With 1,067 pages and 119 detailed maps, this handbook describes hundreds of islands all across the South Pacific. http://www.southpacific.org/pacific.html
· Stevenson, Robert Louis. In the South Seas. North Books, 2003. The author's account of his travels through the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Gilberts by yacht in the years 1888-90. Originally published in 1896 by Scribner's, various editions are available.
· Tallship Soren Larsen. Adventure sailing cruises from Easter Island to New Caledonia are offered on this classic, two-masted brigantine. http://www.sorenlarsen.co.nz/
· Theroux, Paul. The Happy Isles of Oceania. Hamish Hamilton, 1992. The author of revealing accounts of railway journeys sets out with kayak and tent to explore the Pacific.
· Tokelau Web Site. Maintained by the semi-official Modern House of Tokelau Project, this is the only serious site dedicated exclusively to this tiny three-atoll territory associated with New Zealand. Information is provided on the geography, history, people, culture, and economy, plus details of transportation and contacts for visitors. http://www.tokelau.org.nz/
· Tuvalu Online. This important web portal contains a wealth of information on this Central Pacific country, including a detailed history, description, legends, island maps, island news, a Tuvaluan grammar, a photo album, flags, philately, a Tuvalu telephone directory, shopping, and numerous links. http://www.tuvaluislands.com/
· Tuvalu Travel Guide. A mini travel guide to Tuvalu, a Central Pacific country now threatened by climate change. http://www.tuvalu.southpacific.org/
· Wallis and Futuna Travel Guide. A travel guide to the Wallis and Futuna Islands from Moon Handbooks South Pacific by David Stanley. http://www.wallis.southpacific.org/
· WWF South Pacific Programme. News and information on environmental matters in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, and Solomon Islands. http://www.wwfpacific.org.fj/
-- OTHER SOUTH PACIFIC TRAVEL PAGES OF THE INFOGRAPHY --
· Travel -- American Samoa. http://www.infography.com/content/129182050996.html
· Travel -- Cook Islands. http://www.infography.com/content/838406312669.html
· Travel -- Easter Island. http://www.infography.com/content/235025868860.html
· Travel -- Fiji. http://www.infography.com/content/511317541595.html
· Travel -- French Polynesia. http://www.infography.com/content/196393094582.html
· Travel -- Kingdom of Tonga. http://www.infography.com/content/498619196703.html
· Travel -- Micronesia. http://www.infography.com/content/807387892532.html
· Travel -- New Caledonia. http://www.infography.com/content/219928802559.html
· Pitcairn Islands. http://www.infography.com/content/135192702587.html
· Travel -- Samoa. http://www.infography.com/content/555283391641.html
· Travel -- Solomon Islands. http://www.infography.com/content/396906490622.html
· Travel -- Vanuatu. http://www.infography.com/content/547510440250.html
"The Infography about Travel in the South Pacific"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA